Tuesday, April 29, 2008

That's Random: More Music

Because I'm desperately trying to avoid finishing up my travel article on Portland's Hollywood District that's due tomorrow ...

Someone just asked me how the Swell Season show that Nick and I went to on Saturday night was. It was great -- despite the pampered yuppies I overheard complaining about having to come all the way over to deepest, darkest Oakland for the concert.

Here's the Paramount Theatre, the broken-down dive that these folks had to take their very lives into their hands to venture to. (Photo by halberst.)

Seriously, I weep for them. (Photo by lisa-k.)

Anyway, rather than trying to describe how wonderful those cute Once kids were live, I sent her a link to the video above, in which they cover Michelle Shocked's Fogtown. The way their voices mingle on the harmonies just kills me. (Sadly, I haven't been able to turn up a clip from the Paramount show itself, so this was taped elsewhere several months ago.) Then I figured I'd just go ahead and post it here -- in case any of you, too, have work you're trying to avoid.

Enjoy!

(P.S. The Swell Season is touring the U.S. for the next couple of months, so if you have a chance, check 'em out.)

7 comments:

Isorski said...

Wow, what a gorgeous venue. Nice. Just caught The Swell Season last night in Portland and they were fantastic. Posted a review at http://isorski.blogspot.com/ - check it out.

Marnie said...

loved the video clip - would love to hear them in person - but the video will have to do since the concerts in my neck of the woods are sold out - man they were so good at the oscars - i loved it when jon stewart brought marketa back - and i loved what she said - i found the quote the next day and put it in my daily diary - as inspiration to keep trying - got the movie ONCE netflix too and enjoyed another evening with the duo - thanks marnie

Robin said...

I'm so jealous that you got to see them, I didn't even know they were touring and now every show that is even remotely near me is sold out. And the trials and tribulations of pampered yuppies are on this coast too. Heaven forbid they have to venture beyond the comfort of their local strip mall for some culture.

Mrs.French said...

Thank goodness! Someone else who understands the level of perfection I have been ranting about!

Kerry said...

I LOVED this show, when they played the Crystal Ballroom in Portland. That Glen Hansard.... rrowwwrrr.... What stage presence he's got. Supposedly, his other band The Frames give an incredible live performance.

lisa k. said...

Funny, I bookmarked your blog just yesterday and today you have a photo of mine posted.

Jen Renninger said...

Leah, I'm SO JEALOUS! They aren't coming anywhere near us so I'm so happy you posted this..

 

©Copyright 2007-2014 More Ways To Waste Time and Leah Hennen. All Rights Reserved.